I mentioned that it was a top down set in sleeve construction called English Tailoring. I had heard it mentioned by JC Briar in a class once but had never seen instructions for it until seeing Julie Weisenberger's ebook on it. You start with the back neck, then do the back shoulders by doing increases (knit front and back) and then holding the back stitches on waste yarn, pick up for the front shoulders, knit three inches straight down. Then knit across a front, pick up for arm stitches and knit across the back. That is where I was last Wednesday.
Here are some more pictures with the details.
I will confess that I wanted to do this pattern very badly - it is the last and most advanced in her ebook. I did not bother doing the intro lessons of course, nor was I deterred by the fact that the pattern was for worsted weight and I had DK weight yarn (Cestari Island Collection - have I mentioned how much I love this yarn!!!). So I redid the calculations for my gauge - perhaps a bit ambitious. Laying flat like this you can see that the front shoulder is a bit gathered. It looks great on, but you can see it laying flat.
Here is a better picture of the arm cap. The flat section across the top basically becomes the top of the shoulder - you can see the trapezoidal shape of the sleeve cap.
It looks great on and molds to the shoulder well. Now I did other modifications to match my shape (broad shoulders, small bust, bigger hips). I added vertical darts (a la Amy Herzog Knit to Flatter) but those pictures didn't come out well.
In the meantime, happy knitting. Check out all the great projects at Tami's.