Monday, January 23, 2012

Curtain Crisis

I have been diligently knitting away on my lace panel for the sidelight by our front door.  It is boring but I'm tired of the paper on the window so that has driven me on.  I have about 4 feet and needed to add the second ball of crochet cotton.  After I started this I realized that I was actually using yarn from my grandmother's stash - which means 40 years old at least.  But I had a lot of it from her and wasn't worried.  I went my fabulously organized new yarn closet, grabbed a ball with the same label and went to town.
I did look to see if they matched, and in my Saturday night, diet coke induced haze (Caffeine is my drug of choice), thought all was well.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.


Not great lighting but that little fold about 40% down is where the yarn changed.  And trust me it is very obvious that they are two very different colors.  Oh no.  Grandma is letting me down.  I started with the one ball of that color and don't have anything else that matches it.

Options?  What can I do?

  1. Just finish as is and dare anyone to mention it.  This was my husband's suggestion.  I'm not sure I have the personality to carry that off.
  2. Die the whole thing a darker color.  Do you think I could get both parts to be the same color or would I have to go really dark for that?
  3. Die the finished panel in stripes - if you can't fix it, feature it.
  4. Die just the newer whiter part.  Or bleach the older part.
  5. Head to the store and see if I can match the older color.  That was my favorite option but a quick trip at lunch showed this to be a false hope.
  6. Start over.  Uggh.  Unfortunately, I'm leaning to this option.
Any advice?  Do you think dying would be successful?  Any thoughts on how to do it?  I'm very open to suggestions.

Of course, yesterday I just threw it to the side and cast on for a hat someone had asked for.  I needed gratification.  


No comments:

Post a Comment