Friday, May 10, 2013

Finished Object Friday

It has been awhile since I have had a finished object, and I'm going to be on a roll for the next few weeks.  Last weekend our guild had Beth Brown Reinsel in to do the Fana Cardigan.


I have done a lot of Fair Isle but hadn't done the Norwegian techniques for steeking - which require using a sewing machine to stabilize the steels.  I learned two big things this weekend - Norwegian Purl which I am very intrigued with and think will help my tension, and that using a sewing machine gives me heart palpitations.  Give me Scottish construction techniques any day.  But the cardigan turned out very cute and we had a great weekend with Beth, who is just a wonderful teacher.  I'm taking her twined knitting class this summer and am very excited about that.

You know the drill.  Go check out great finished objects at Tami's and Wisdom begins in Wonder to see great fiber projects.


7 comments:

  1. What a cute little cardigan. It is a bit hard to tell how small it is, but it looks minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would fit a small teddy bear or an American Girl Doll. Big enough to learn the techniques and not get too frustrated with how long it takes.

      Delete
  2. So, what's a Scottish Construction technique? I love doing steeks, just wish the sewing machine lines would be easily hidden. Facings just aren't the easiest way to hide them. Cute little sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have done Scottish Fair Isle's they have had very wide steels at the front openings and the armholes - between 7 and 9 stitches. This had only a three stitch steel at the front opening and did it as a tube up to the neck - no steeks for the armholes, no neck shaping. On Fair Isles', i never use a sewing machine, maybe do some crochet lines but not usually. I pick up the front borders and do a fold over trim and sew it down to hide the cut ends. I pick up the stitches around the armhole and knit down. This had you do two rows of machine stitches on either side of the center steel stitch for the front opening and then knit a separate buttonhole band (vertical ribbing) and fold it over to hide the cut edges. For the sleeves you start at the cuff and then machine stitch where you want the sleeves to go in and cut. the top of the sleeve has a facing and you use that to cover the cut edges.

      Delete
  3. OMG! I think my heart just stopped when I read that you had to use a sewing machine for the project. That truly scares me. I love your finished cardi though and love that you know more than one way to knit and purl. I just "do it"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing machines are not my thing, just the sound makes my heart race.

      Delete