Thursday, June 23, 2011

Master Knitter

A few weeks ago, after 10 months of on and off work, I passed Level 2 of TKGA's Master Hand Knitter program.  Because I am a glutton for punishment, I signed up immediately for Level 3, the final level.

I started the first swatch and was amazed.  I've been knitting for 28 years and had never done a tubular cast on.  How very cool and useful for cuffs and necklines.  But these are very tricky people because every reference I read says this has to be on an uneven number of stitches and of course the directions are for an even number of stitches.   I read all the forums, all the group notes and don't see anyone else stressing about this.

Here's how I solved it.  Since the directions were for 20 stitches, I did the final k2together to make the final number of stitches come out even.  It does leave a bit of a bump where the two stitches are combined. This took me a lot of time to figure out. Now it did cause every row of the ribbing to start with a purl stitch instead of a knit.  When using this technique in real life, I would have an odd number of stitches and that makes seaming much easier and cleaner.  Hopefully this will be the right approach.  I should know in another ten months!


I'll keep blogging about this journey to the masters.  If someone has another approach that works better I would love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. I think I just knit two together to get to the number I need. Or actually, I just keep the st and work it into the pattern. Now, try the tubular bind off. I love that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting. I'm new at this blog thing and it is encouraging to have interaction. And you are right, the tubular bind off is fantastic! Christina

    ReplyDelete