I started the first swatch and was amazed. I've been knitting for 28 years and had never done a tubular cast on. How very cool and useful for cuffs and necklines. But these are very tricky people because every reference I read says this has to be on an uneven number of stitches and of course the directions are for an even number of stitches. I read all the forums, all the group notes and don't see anyone else stressing about this.
Here's how I solved it. Since the directions were for 20 stitches, I did the final k2together to make the final number of stitches come out even. It does leave a bit of a bump where the two stitches are combined. This took me a lot of time to figure out. Now it did cause every row of the ribbing to start with a purl stitch instead of a knit. When using this technique in real life, I would have an odd number of stitches and that makes seaming much easier and cleaner. Hopefully this will be the right approach. I should know in another ten months!
I'll keep blogging about this journey to the masters. If someone has another approach that works better I would love to hear about it.